A serverless function is something that is going to allow us to do server-like things without having to manage servers, but an important distinction here is that serverless does not mean that there are no servers.
The environment is actually running on top of an operating system and uses physical servers, but the responsibility for provisioning and managing the infrastructure belongs entirely to the service provider.
Some of the benefits of using serverless functions:
- Enhanced scalability. No need for developers to implement code to scale. It scales automatically.
- Reduced time to market. Serverless is an optimized set of tools for building quickly.
- No boiler code. A serverless function is just a tiny piece of logic. Reducing the complexity of software.
- More time for user experience. Serverless functions allow teams to focus resources on the user experience and not on managing servers.
- Security. We can call third-party APIs securely without exposing important data on the client-side.